Steve and Nancy Ballard Hall (formerly Gateway Hall)
Steve and Nancy Ballard Hall – Ballard East and Ballard West
In fall 2020, Gateway Hall was renamed Steve and Nancy Ballard Hall. Dr. Steve Ballard served as ECU’s sixth chancellor and tenth chief administrative officer from 2004-2016 and was largely responsible for the demolition of the old Belk Residence Hall and the funding and construction of a brand new residence hall originally called Gateway Hall.
Opened in fall 2015, Ballard Hall is the hub for ECU Living Learning Community (LLC) programs as it was specifically designed with our LLCs in mind. Housing approximately 330 students in its east wing and 370 in its west wing, Ballard Hall is a mix of suite styles (two double rooms sharing a bathroom between the rooms) or double rooms with a community bath on the hallway. A very limited number of double rooms with private baths is available. Located in the College Hill neighborhood, Ballard Hall features study rooms on each floor, as well as welcoming public spaces on the first floor. A kitchen and central laundry room are located in each wing.
Information provided is for the most common layout for double rooms. Single rooms usually only have one bed, and may only have one set of room furniture, some single rooms may have a second set of some of the furniture if it is a temporary single for that academic year.
- Ballard Hall on ECU Campus Map
- Ballard East Video Tour
- Ballard West Video Tour
- Helpful Room Content Measurements Flyer
To view a 360° photo of this room and/or sample rooms from each of our residence halls:
- Click the photo below (on desktop computers, use your Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browser)
- Wait a few seconds for the page to load
- Select a hall from either the menu in the upper left corner or from the box at the bottom of the page
- On mobile devices, hold your phone horizontally for the best view
- We also have a 360°photo of our lobbies and main lounges:https://wvr.li/smpro1
- Large lobby area
- Study lounges & meeting rooms
- Laundry room (no coins/cash needed)
- Located close to Todd Dining Hall
- Microwave and microfridge
- Air conditioners
- Desks w/drawers, chairs, and dressers
- Bunkable beds
- Tile flooring
- Room: 12’5″ wide x 17’8″ long
- Window: 6’6″ wide by 5’8″ tall
- Height of window from floor: 8’4″
- Closet: 3′ wide
- Desk: 32-48″ wide x 24″ deep
- Bed: twin XL (80″ long)
- Height of bed off floor: adjustable to a maximum 24″ (bed risers can add another 3-8″)
*measurements are approximate and may vary by room
This is a sample of rooms that use the community bath. Suite style rooms have a sink in the room and a shared bath (in most cases) between two student rooms.